Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Bon Voyage!

Hey everyone! So I'm here at Chapman University working on a documentary for interterm, as soon as that is done I will be off to France on Jan 30th. Now I know some parents worry that their children won't be able to travel long distances due to their autism. I'm going to try to put those worries at ease.

What my parents did with me was the casual sleepover. Then I went to a summer camp for two weeks. I had an okay experience, I'm not going to lie it was hard. Not because of the camp but because of the people. I then went to summer camp for 8 years in Wisconsin ( I went the first 4 years for 4 weeks then the next 3 years 6 weeks and the last year for 8 weeks. Wish I went for 8 weeks more!) after that everything was easier. It was all about transitioning me into being comfortable about not being home. I of course wrote letters and had days for phone calls. Last summer I was in Italy for a month and now I'm going to be in France for 5 months!! Very exciting. I can't deny I'm going to be nervous but I know that I will be able to call my parents when I want to.

(Also it helps with preparing them for college! I have dates set up for when I call my parents so they know how I'm doing)

What I suggest if your sending your kid off, make sure they have an open line of communication but not too open or else they'll want to say all the bad experiance too and I'm not going to lie that there will be some but that's life and you can't hide your child from it all. But they will make fond memories and great friends! And I bet their are camps out there for kids who are autistic. I went to an all girls camp, I think you all know how girls can be. I know there are camps that have therapeutic horses which I HIGHLY suggest, I love horses and have heard wonderful things about an autistic child working with horses. Something about an autistic child and horses just click!

If you have any questions feel free to ask, sorry if this post was not as informative!

No comments:

Post a Comment